Featured Debt Reduction Article
Top 10 Debt Reduction Service Considerations
In the U.S., debt is almost a universal condition. Millions of Americans are dealing with massive credit card debt as well as other forms of consumer or personal debt. With that in mind, many are beginning to consider the use of a debt reduction service as a means to release them from the grip of relentless debt. The potential for financial ruin is at the door of many people—some have already succumbed to the burden of too much debt and have sought escape through declaring bankruptcy. If you are seriously considering this move, then you might want to look at the following Top 10 debt reduction service considerations.
This article is meant to explain the benefits and potential disadvantages of such services are by listing the top 10 debt reduction service considerations to keep in mind while looking for solutions. A debt reduction service is essentially an agency that functions as an intermediary between you and the creditor. If you hire a debt reduction service, you are asking them to represent you in negotiations with creditors to lower the balance of a particular debt you owe.
These services must be distinguished from debt consolidation services. With a debt consolidation agency, you are paying the company a lump sum, which is deposited in an escrow account to be used to pay various creditors. As for debt reduction, the creditors will decide what sort of debt reduction actions will be advantageous to them. With a better idea what services you are looking for, let's look at those top 10 debt reduction service considerations:
1. As stated above, those who request debt reduction services are already considering the option of bankruptcy a means of removing their debt.
2. Creditors will examine your credit report to determine how you are paying other debts.
3. If you are able to pay your other obligations on time and consistently, but fail to do so for the creditor in question, it is not likely they will offer a lower settlement. If you are not paying anyone due to lack of funds, then you are more likely to get a more reasonable settlement amount from the creditor.
4. You may have to supply financial information if you feel the settlement amount is too high. Make sure you can account for income and outgoing expenses.
5. Remember that if you receive an offer, the creditor expects you to pay back the settlement amount as a one-time lump sum payment.
6. For higher debt amounts, the creditor may consider payment arrangements over a short period. (Typically about six months)
7. It is possible for the debt reduction service to a negotiation a long-term settlement repayment period.
8. If you have overall decent credit and have only lately gotten into a financial problem, you may want to consider other options before contacting a debt reduction service. There are some credit consequences to take into account.
9. Using a debt reduction service can adversely affect your credit score, which can make it difficult or impossible to obtain credit or even loans.
10. For those with poor credit histories, a debt reduction service can actually be an advantage to you. You will be able to improve your bad credit rating so that your credit status increases.
These Top 10 debt reduction service considerations are but a few to keep in mind. There are certainly others, depending upon the agency. (Of course, there may also be other top 10 debt reduction service tips out there.)